Wednesday, July 4, 2018

ANTILOG_04July18b

###

ANTILOG_04July18b

###

15:20 2018-07-04

- It might not be obvious to everyone, but I'm a big fan of NOISE; I love all things that have to do with NOISE; I just love NOISE!;
- I've also done countless experiments with noise; I like to think of myself as a philosopher or maybe even a psychologist of noise; That is, I study the effects that noise has on people;
- Most people seem to have a fear of ambiguity built-in, like they don't like ambiguity, they will shy away from it, similar to how some people have a fear of asymmetry; This happens with noise, people don't generally like noise, they try to get rid of it, it's "unwanted";
- Here I present a series of experiments using graphs of noise, of random walks actually, that I revamped into a kind of mountain-range-looking design; This is entirely done digitally with simple image processing functions, I believe a computer could generate this kind of image autonomously given the right rule-base that would be hard-coded into the "noise engine" if you will; First example:
WHITE CASTLE: The Noise's Edge. A.G. (c) 2018. All Rights Reserved.
- Basically, I just took three different graphs of random walks, reshaped them to fit in the same image space, and superimposed them; I just changed the contrast and luminosity and opacity to make the design you see above; I also made some more "colorful" ones;
NOISE FIELD. A.G. (c) 2018. All Rights Reserved.
- The concept of "the noise's edge" is important, because it's similar to what they call the "edge of chaos"; It's a similar concept, it's just the "edge of noise"; It's essentially the same thing, though, so there's no reason to get confused;
- The edge of noise is just the transition space between "signal" and "noise", i.e. it's not entirely "signal" and not entirely "noise"; One way to put it would be to say it is the "antisignal", which is a concept I've often used, but won't get into just yet; SEE: What is (an) Antisignal?;
THE NOISE'S EDGE redux. A.G. (c) 2018. All Rights Reserved.
- The idea is to take a piece of noise and transform it into something that is visually "interesting"; I am often trying to measure a kind of quality you could call "interestingness"; I think that something that starts as noise and is modulated carefully through various steps, comes to attain a certain level of "visual interestingness" at some point; It just requires that you modulate the noise until you start getting shapes; And the "seed noises" that I use are often just plain pure white noise; The random walks that I started with her were in graphic form, for example:
Noisy random walk. From Google Image Search.
- That's the "edge" that I'm talking about, the peaks and valleys of this stochastic process; There is nothing to fear from the technical term "stochastic", it just means it's a random process, basically; it just means it's random or randomly determined, such as a "stochastic procedure" or whatnot; I happen to find such graphs highly beautiful, I love the way the peaks and valleys look, so I just copied it and turned it into a "random dark forest" if you will, or "random mountain chain", a kind of "NOISE RIDGE";
NOISE RIDGE. A.G. (c) 2018. All Rights Reserved.
- I have been obsessed with NOISE all my life; There are forms of "perceptual" noises that occur sometimes in life, like a kind of "brain fog", where the image on the retina seems "foggy" or "ambiguous", "clouded", etc.;
- I've done so many experiments with noise in with Sound(s), with Image(s), and even with Text (I wrote cut-up novels which were generated algorithmically using an as-yet undisclosed methodology;
- Here is an example of something similar to the above that I did in 2015; I just took "noisy signals" in graphic form and superimposed them, then added some color to the sky and so forth; In this case the idea was to imitate the "skyline" of a contemporary city;
Night in The City. A.G. (c) 2015-2018. All Rights Reserved.

- There's so much that you can do with noise, I really wish I could get people on my NOISE FRENZY BANDWAGON, but alas, noise is not for everyone's taste, i.e. is not everyone's cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment